Forest School is an innovative educational approach that takes learning beyond the traditional classroom setting, immersing students in the natural world. We believe this experience offers a multitude of benefits that can significantly contribute to your child's personal and academic development.
Here are some of the remarkable advantages your child will gain through participation in Forest School:
1. Enhanced Social and Emotional Development: Forest School provides a unique environment for children to build stronger bonds with their peers and their teachers. Through collaborative activities, they develop important social skills like teamwork, communication, and empathy. The natural setting also encourages emotional resilience and self-awareness.
2. Improved Physical Health: Engaging in outdoor activities is known to promote physical well-being. Forest School encourages active play, exploration, and exercise, contributing to a healthier lifestyle. Children have the opportunity to develop their gross and fine motor skills in a dynamic, natural setting.
3. Heightened Creativity and Imagination: Through unstructured play and exposure to nature, children's creativity and imagination flourish. Forest School stimulates curiosity, allowing students to observe, question, and explore the world around them in a way that is impossible to replicate indoors.
4. Academic Enrichment: Research indicates that experiential learning in nature leads to improved cognitive development. Children who engage with the natural world tend to perform better in subjects such as science, maths, and languages. Forest School fosters a love for learning that extends far beyond the classroom.
5. Increased Confidence and Independence: Navigating a natural environment and mastering new skills in a Forest School setting empowers children, boosting their confidence and self-esteem. They learn to assess risks, make decisions, and solve problems independently, which are essential life skills.
6. Respect for the Environment: By spending time in nature, children develop a profound appreciation for the environment. They gain a deeper understanding of the delicate balance of ecosystems and the importance of preserving natural spaces for future generations.
7. Stress Reduction and Mental Well-being: Research has shown that spending time in nature can reduce stress levels and improve mental well-being. Forest School provides a calming and nurturing environment where children can unwind, connect with their surroundings, and develop mindfulness.
At Saint Mary's we believe that children should experience some freedom in developing their sense of self and what is important to them. Our young learners have the opportunity to explore the outdoor environment, take risks, and initiate their own learning whilst developing their social and emotional needs with their friends. We hope to encourage our children to problem solve, take risks in a safe, supportive environment, and become more resilient and confident in their own abilities. It is a holistic approach to learning and the children (and grown-ups!) love spending time outside.